In the past months I was working on a new update for NetSnips, that improves its functionality as well as its design. The result is one of the biggest updates ever. Today I’m very happy to announce that NetSnips 3.1 is live on the App Store.
Even thought we have changed the app icon as recently as January, we are now modifying it again. Based on your feedback, we have created a borderless and even simpler version of the NetSnips icon. We really hope that you like it! Most importantly, this update finally allows using NetSnips in any interface orientation. This was one of the most requested features. However, if you prefer to lock one specific orientation, just head to the settings. You can also define and add web snippets in portrait and in landscape mode. NetSnips will take care and update your snippet in the correct interface orientation. Moreover it is possible to position your snippets for both orientations individually. Snippets that are too big to fit the current orientation are scaled down.
Moreover, with this new update NetSnips already takes full advantage of the larger displays of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus! This means: Even more space for all your web snippets! This version was also tested with the brand new iOS 8.
Apart from landscape support and iOS 8 support, this update brings to you:
- More style. New animations, tuned colors and a subtle but beautiful parallax effect on your web snippets when tilting you device.
- More social. Share your web snippet screenshot on social networks, send it via mail or copy the snippet URL address.
- More comfort. Open your current Safari web page in NetSnips with the new bookmarklet.
- Even more comfort. A blank page is automatically appended if you swipe up for the main toolbar. If you want to place your new snippet directly on a new page, swipe to the blank page before tapping the Add button.
This update also includes other improvements, like 64bit support, a tweaked snippet updating logic, more precise snippet repositioning and touch detection, easier tappable buttons and speed improvements.
One more thing: If you ever wanted to buy me a coffee for all these free updates, now you can! Just go the upgrades section and find a nice cup of coffee right there. Rest assured, your coffee will keep me awake… Thank you very much!
I hope you like the changes to NetSnips. Please don’t forget to review the new version on the App Store. I’m happy to hear from you!
In this short video we compare the updating time for 5 web snippets on iPhone 4 (single core A4 CPU) and iPhone 5s (dual core A7 CPU) after a cold app start. NetSnips is highly optimized for modern multicore devices and greatly benefits from them. See for yourself!
NetSnips feels finally right at home on iOS 7. NetSnips 3.0, which was released today on the App Store, introduces a revised user interface and many modernizations. Moreover, thanks to Ivan Ladurner, this release introduces a greatly simplified app icon. This is another completely free update for all existing users!
The full change list is as follows:
- New and cleaner app icon and a fresh new app design
- The number of parallel snippet updates depends now on the current network speed and device performance (ex: on iPhone 5s up to 5 snippets update in parallel)
- Snippets are updated on idle activity while reading a web page in full screen (requires iPhone 4S/iPad 2 or newer)
- Launch Center Pro support with custom actions
- More reliable snippet updating engine for complex web pages
- When leaving fullscreen mode, snippets don’t reload automatically and keep the last visited web page open
- Memory usage optimizations
- Many other improvements and under the hood changes that are the basis for upcoming features
The new design language and under the hood changes in iOS 7 are substantial, which make it difficult to support older iOS versions. Therefore I had to increase the minimal system requirements, which means that this new update requires iOS 7.0 or higher.
You can find a visual comparison between version 2.1.1 and 3.0 in the following image gallery:
New background and lighter snippet borders
New delete button and snippet border colors
Redesigned top and bottom toolbars
New settings style
New and simpler app icon
About view reflects new app design
The announced landscape mode support did not made it in this release. I’m sorry for this, but back in June when I was knee-deep in the development of a new feature that repositions snippets for landscape mode, Apple announced iOS 7. I did not want to release something half-baked, therefore I had to change my roadmap and focus on other things first. But never mind, landscape mode will be made available as soon as possible.
For all of you that are using Launch Center Pro app: I have submitted two custom actions and I’m currently waiting that they add them to their action composer. I will update this post as soon as the actions are approved. In the mean time you can add the actions manually with the following two URLs:
- Add a snippet for the URL address in your clipboard:
- Open NetSnips on page 2 (or any other page):
I hope you enjoy the revised version of NetSnips as much as I do. Don’t forget to leave a review on the App Store!
Update January 18, 2014: NetSnips is now in the list of officially supported Launch Center Pro apps. You should find it in the Action Composer. Creating web snippets is now even easier.
Some of you were worried about the future of NetSnips, because the last update was published about 3 months ago. I know you are waiting hard for a fresh new iOS 7 user interface. In the last month I finished my MSc degree and could not spend as much time as I liked on improving NetSnips, but I can assure you that now I’m working hard on the next major version of NetSnips. It will be a free update for all existing users and I hope to publish it before Christmas holidays.
So… stay tuned!
Update January 9, 2014: It’s finally done! Just submitted NetSnips 3.0 to Apple for review, including a brand new design and many improvements.
Today I’m asking you for help. As part of my MSc thesis in Computer Science I’m working on an addition for NetSnips that automatically repositions snippets when you rotate your device in landscape mode. The system analyzes the layout of your snippets in portrait screen orientation and generates a similar landscape layout.
Now I need actual NetSnips users that would like to participate in a study for evaluating the automatically generated landscape layout. No worries, you just have to rate some example snippet layouts and it won’t take you more than 10 minutes.
Update September 12, 2013: This study is now closed. Thanks a lot for your investigated time and for participating! You can have a look a the average results with 31 participants:
Usage statistics tell me that Russians are one of the most loyal NetSnips user group. Therefore I’m very happy to tell you that as of now the app is localized in Russian too. Simply download the new update and enjoy also this other improvements:
- NetSnips speaks now Russian too. Thanks a lot to @77Shurik for the translation!
- Added some missing Italian texts
- Added a demo video for new user on first app start
- Fixed an rare issue that could lead to crashs on app start
- Fixed a layouting problem for iOS 5 users
- Other minor changes & improvements
Thank you all for being a web snipper! More great new features are in development…
In the last months I’ve received a lot of requests for adding more than 4 pages in NetSnips. Here you go: NetSnips 2.1 was released today and gives you the possibility for creating unlimited snippets on up to 20 pages! Now nothing prevents you from creating web snippets for all your favorite web pages, no matter whether you’re interested in news pages, daily cartoons, upcoming movies, sport team standings/scores, social network updates, stock changes, weather forecast or anything else you can find on the web!
Moreover beginning from today NetSnips is a completely free download! The free versions allows up to 2 web snippets, thus everybody can try & use NetSnips without any costs. Please tell your friends to give NetSnips a try! You can activate “Unlimited Snippets” via an one-time in-app purchase. All of you than have previously purchased NetSnips receive this upgrade for free!
Take a look at the complete release notes:
- NetSnips is now a FREE download that includes in-app upgrades
- You can now place your web snippets on up to 20 pages
- Dramatically reduced app startup time (on iPhone 4: ~2 seconds; on iPhone 5: ~0.5 seconds)
- All pages are loaded dynamically on demand in order that the app remains responsive even with a lot of snippets on many different pages
- General performance improvements and optimizations for newer devices with multicore processors
- New animations on snippets and advices on first app launch
- Improved French translation (thanks to Marc Aubert)
- Many other minor improvements and tweaks
Enjoy the new update and please share your NetSnips experience! Please tweet or write me how do you use NetSnips and what do you think about the new update. I love to hear from you!